Rumpler C.IV C.7610/17 wood cover to metal ammunition box
This wood panel is the access cover to the ammunition box for the fixed forward-firing machine gun on a Rumpler C.IV, the box being located just in front of the pilot's right foot. The panel can be seen in the photos below of the Rumpler's cockpit. A note came attached to the panel which read “Panel from German Rumpler C.IV plane shot down near St. Benoit Woevre, France by Battery B, 2nd aircraft battalion, C.A.C., 18 October 1918. George H. Brush, 1st Lt.CAC.” The CAC was the U.S. Coastal Artillery Corps and one of their jobs was anti-aircraft. In a book about the life of this particular anti-aircraft battery, the action on that morning is told with great fervor - that story, along with a copy of the captured Rumpler crew's interrogation report, are included in the 'Read More About It ' section of the News|Presentations tab. The Rumpler - the actual one from this story - is shown below at Toul where it had a brief life as a squadron 'hack' for the 135th Aero Squadron after it was repaired. The 6th photo from the left photo was provided by the Omaka Aviation Heritage Trust.